Find out why SCTI has become one of Australia and New Zealand's top travel insurers and receive a quote for cover
Since entering the insurance market in 1982, Southern Cross has grown to become one of the most trusted and awarded insurers for Australian's and New Zealanders planning their next trip. Southern Cross offers a number policies to choose no matter what your cover needs with unlimited medical and evacuation cover, worldwide emergency assistance and free cover for dependent children.
This review will give details of the cover provided under the different plans from Southern Cross. If you would like to take out cover immediately, you can follow the secure links below through to the Southern Cross website or enter your trip details to see how they compare to other insurers on the market.
Policies from Southern Cross - Receive a secure quote online
Who Underwrites Southern Cross Travel Insurance?
Below is what you will be covered for under the Southern Cross Single Journey and Annual Frequent Traveller Policy. Please note that some of the cover options will have sub-limits applied for certain events.
|Cover Feature||Individual Single Journey||Family Single Journey||Single Frequent Traveller||Family Frequent Traveller|
|Medical and Evacuation||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Changes to Your Journey||$50,000||$100,000||$50,000||$100,000|
|Baggage and Personal Items||$25,000||$50,000||$25,000||$50,000|
|Cash and Travel Documents||$1,000||$2,000||$1,000||$2,000|
|Rental Vehicle Excess||$5,000||$5,000||$5,000||$5,000|
|Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
- Medical expenses and evacuation. If, as a result of an unexpected event, you require medical treatment during your journey, SCTI will reimburse you for your medical expenses. Medical evacuation is also covered, even if you need to be repatriated to Australia.
- Emergency dental treatment.
- Cash allowance while in hospital to help you cover necessary expenses.
- Extra travel and accommodation costs incurred if you are unfit to travel.
- If you are travelling alone and hospitalised for more than 10 days, SCTI will cover the cost of flights and accommodation for a friend or relative to travel from Australia and stay by your side.
- Funeral expenses.
Changes to your journey
- If you have to cancel or alter your journey before leaving Australia, for example due to an unexpected illness or the loss of your job, the policy helps you recoup the pre-paid expenses you’ve spent booking your holiday.
- Travel interruption. If your trip is delayed or disrupted, for example a delayed flight causing you to miss a connecting flight, cover is provided.
- Cover also applies if unexpected delays cause you to miss a special event, or if an unexpected event forces you to cut your journey short and return home to Australia.
Baggage and personal items
- You are covered for your items that are lost, stolen and damaged items while you are away.
- Baggage delay. If an airline misplaces your baggage for 12 hours or more, you will be reimbursed for the cost of buying essential items of clothing and personal effects until your bags catch up with you.
Cash and travel documents
- Cover is provided for lost or stolen cash.
- If your essential bank cards, travel documents or passports are lost, stolen or damaged, SCTI will reimburse you for the cost of their replacement.
- This covers things like death or disablement during your journey, as well as loss of income as the result of an injury.
- Cover is also provided for personal liability.
- Cover is provided if you become legally liable
Rental vehicle excess
- Cover for rental vehicle excess is also available. If you hire a rental vehicle overseas and it is stolen or damaged on your journey, SCTI will reimburse you for any excess payable to the rental company that is not refundable.
Different cover options to suit your travel needs
SCTI offers two policy types depending on the number of trips you intend to take in a year, a single journey policy and an annual frequent traveller policy.
- a single journey policy provides cover for a single journey overseas
- a annual frequent traveller policy provides cover for an unlimited number of journeys overseas, each no longer than 90 days, over a 12 month period.
This choice of options lets you select the perfect policy for your specific needs. To ensure you have comprehensive cover in your destination, SCTI has three different regions to choose from:
- New Zealand / Indonesia / South Pacific
- Limited World – Excluding USA and Canada
- World – Including USA and Canada.
The ‘World – Includes USA & Canada’ plan covers all countries. This plan must be selected if you are visiting the USA or Canada.
Cover the kids for free
Southern Cross will provide free child cover provided they are;
- Your unmarried children, stepchildren, foster children, grand children, nieces or nephews
- Aged 17 years or under
- Not engaged in full-time employment
|Do they cover cruise travel?|
|Do they cover ski related losses?||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Who are they underwritten by?||Southern Cross Benefits Ltd||Certain underwriters at Lloyd's||Allianz|
|What is the cooling off period?||14 days||14 days||14 days|
|Is there a group travel option available?||For groups of a maximum 11 people||For groups of more the 10 people||For groups of a maximum 25 people|
|Are dependents covered at no extra cost?||Yes, children under 17*||Yes, children under 21*||Yes, children under 21*|
|Is there an excess eliminator?||No||Yes||Yes|
|How long can single trips be on an annual policy?||90 days||90 days|
|What is the maximum age of people cover?||There is no age limit to purchase the TravelCare policy|
|Baggage & Personal Items||$25,000||$12,000||$15,000|
|Cancellation and trip interruption||$50,000||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Medical & Evacuation||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Rental Vehicle Excess||$5,000||$4,000||$5,000|
Want to see how SCTI compares to other insurers? Use our travel insurance quote comparison tool at the end of this article.
A $100 excess applies per event to any claims made under the Changes to Your Journey, Baggage and Personal Items, and Cash and Travel Documents sections listed above. For example, if your wallet containing your cash and credit cards is stolen and you make a claim, an amount of $100 will be deducted from the claim paid amount.Back to top
SCTI are the only travel insurance company in Australia selected by CANSTAR for the Outstanding Value Award in International Travel Insurance five years in a row.
- 24 hour worldwide emergency assistance
- overseas hospitalisation and medical expenses
- medical evacuation back to Australia
- travel cancellations and interruptions
- lost, stolen or damaged personal items
- personal accident
- personal liability
- rental vehicle excess
Southern Cross offers worldwide emergency assistance, giving you access to a global network of emergency medical resources 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you have an accident or get sick while on holiday, Southern Cross Travel Insurance Emergency Assistance can help you locate the nearest registered English speaking medical practitioner, arrange emergency medical evacuation and provide payment guarantees to hospitals or emergency clinics. This offers you increased peace of mind while overseas, along with the reassuring knowledge that help will be available when you need it most.
I want to extend my policy, can I?
You can contact SCTI to request an extension of your policy but some conditions apply
- No extension will be provided for Single Journey cover once the initial policy has expired
- No extension will be provided for a multi-trip policy once the 90th day of a journey has passed
- Events that have occurred before the new policy is issued will not be considered as unexpected
- You will need to let SCTI know reasons for the extension and where you plan to travel to
I want to amend my policy, is that possible?
You can amend your policy by contacting SCTI with your amendment details. An additional charge may apply and you cannot make amendments after your trip has started.Back to top
Pre-existing conditions are excluded under a SCTI policy. However, you can seek cover for your pre-existing conditions during the policy application process by completing a simple online medical assessment. The results will be displayed to you before you decide whether or not to proceed with the policy, letting you make an informed choice about what you’re signing up for. An additional premium will apply if SCTI does offer cover for your pre-existing condition. If you do not want to apply for cover for a pre-existing condition, you can opt to leave these excluded during the application process.
There are some conditions, such as acne, asthma, migraines and hay-fever, that are automatically covered under Southern Cross Travel Insurance policies, unless otherwise specified.
|Condition Category||Definition||What you need to do|
|Controlled Condition (Covered Automatically||Condition is recognised as controlled and is automatically covered by Southern Cross Travel Insurance||You must tell SCTI if the injury or illness occurs after the start date of your policy but before the commencement of your journey|
|Covered Condition (Covered and Confirmed by Email)||The condition is covered one you have completed the medical assessment process and SCTI has received the additional premium payment and has confirmed payment has been received||You must notify SCTI if there is a change to your condition after the start date of your insurance but before the commencement of your journey|
|Pre-Existing Condition (Not Covered)||Condition is not covered after you have completed the medical assessment process||Condition will remain uncovered for the period of insurance|
|Pre-Existing Condition (Not Covered)||You do not want cover for the condition or you do not tell SCTI about your pre-existing condition||You are not able to inform SCTI about a pre-existing condition after your policy has started|
SCTI provide the following cover for "unspecified items":
- $2,500 maximum payment for Jewellery/watches
- $3,000 maximum payment for unspecified Laptops/Tablets/Personal Computers
- $1,500 maximum payment other unspecified items per journey
The original purchase price less depreciation which is determined by the age of the item applied at reasonable rate by SCTI.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance cover for "specified items":
- $10,000 maximum payment per item
- $15,000 maximum total paid for all specified items per journey
The current value of the item will be paid. Additional cover for specified items can be taken out when purchasing cover.
What evidence will be required for specified items in a claim?
- Original receipt dated within 12 months from when item was specified for cover or
- Original receipt as proof of ownership and valuation dated within 12 months from when item was covered
- Documentation showing items specified on contents insurance policy dated within 12 months that item was specified.
You will need to submit your claim using the SCTI online claiming system. The main Southern Cross Travel Insurance policyholder must enter their personal details including:
- Policy number
- Date of birth
- Last name
- Email address.
Once these details have been submitted, you will be forwarded onto your policy. To submit a claim, you must have access to an Australian bank account number.
What section do I enter my claim under? You will need to determine the type of claim you are lodging. Options include;
- Medical & Evacuation. If you are claiming for an overseas medical expenses.
- Changes to Your Journey. If you are claiming for missed flights or cancelled accommodation and tour/s.
- Medical & Evacuation. If you are claiming for additional accommodation, travel, communication or meal costs incurred overseas as the result of an illness or injury.
Where do I send my receipts and documents for my claim? Once you have submitted your claim online, SCTI will send you a confirmation email with your claim number. The email will also contain an attachment with a header sheet. You will need to print out, sign and send the header sheet to SCTI, along with original copies of any supporting documentation. Post all original supporting documents (along with your claim number) to:
Southern Cross Travel Insurance
PO Box 5176
Q. Can I extend my Southern Cross Travel Insurance policy when I'm overseas?
A. If you are overseas and you choose to extend your journey, you can request an extension of your policy by emailing SCTI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Can I change my policy after I have applied for it?
A. It is possible to make adjustments to your policy provided you have not yet departed Australia. An additional charge may apply for some amendments.
Q. I have a pre-existing medical condition, is it covered under the Southern Cross Travel Insurance policy?
A. You can apply for cover by completing an online medical assessment during the policy application process. Once you have entered your travel details and selected that you have a pre-existing condition, you will be able to enter the name of the condition and if applicable, you will be prompted to provide more details about it. You will be able to view the results of your medical assessment with no obligation to purchase the policy.
Depending on the travel related risk of your pre-existing condition, an additional premium will apply if SCTI are able to offer cover. If you choose to pay the additional premium, the condition would be considered a covered condition under the policy. If there is a change to your covered condition after your start date of Insurance, but prior to your start date of journey, you must notify SCTI.
If SCTI does not offer cover for your pre-existing condition, or you choose to 'opt out' of having the condition covered under the policy, any claims arising directly or indirectly from the Pre-Existing Condition will be excluded under all sections of the policy.
Q. How do you cancel a Southern Cross Travel Insurance policy?
Q. Am I covered for Cruise Trips?
A. Yes. Worldwide cruises are covered by TravelCare travel insurance.
Q. Am I covered for Ski Trips?
A. Yes, SCTI’s travel insurance provides comprehensive cover for ski or snow trips as part of their regular travel insurance policy.
Q. How long can I take for each trip with an annual multi-trip policy?
A. You can be covered for 90 days per trip.
Q. Why is SCTI competitively priced?
A. The cover is provided direct to you with SCTI acting as underwriter, insurer and retailer – there is no middleman.
Q. Does Southern Cross Cover Overseas Work?
A. Yes, SCTIS's working overseas policy provides cover for New Zealand citizens or residents travelling overseas for 1 month or longer and automatically covers white collar and some types of manual work. Southern Cross Travel Insurance can be purchased while you are already travelling overseas. It is worth noting that this policy does not cover professional sport, heavy manual or hazardous work.
Q. Does Southern Cross Travel Insurance cover Terrorism?
A. Southern Cross Travel Insurance will provide up to $100,000 per policy for Medical and Evacuation due to Terrorism. No benefit will be paid for other losses that are a result of terrorism.
Q. Is cover available for international students?
A. Yes SCTI International Student travel insurance has been especially designed to provide cover for international students visiting New Zealand. This cover is available to visiting students with a current New Zealand visa.
Q. Does Southern Cross cover riding motorcycles or mopeds overseas?
A. Southern Cross does not cover riding a moped or motorcycle in the following circumstances:
(a) If the capacity of the engine is more than 200cc
(b) If the driver and/or passenger is not wearing a helmet
(c) If the driver does not have a drivers licence that is valid in the country they are travelling in
Q. Who is covered under a “family” policy?
A. An SCTI family policy will cover two adults, or two adults and any of their dependent children.
Q. Who is covered under an “individual policy?"
A. Individual applies to one person, or one adult and any of their dependent children.
Q. How do I contact Southern Cross if I need emergency assistance?
A. You can contact SCTI on 61 2 8216 0200, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.Get a quote and apply for Southern Cross Travel Insurance securely online
- An APRA and ASIC regulated general insurer, SCTI insures hundreds of thousands of travellers.
- SCTI is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Insurance Council of Australia and a signatory to the Australian General Insurance Code of Practice.
- SCTI won the CANSTAR International Travel Insurance star rating award for Outstanding Value for the 2014 travel insurance survey. The CANSTAR ratings are awarded to companies that have ‘the right balance between price and product features’, and 2014 is the sixth year in a row SCTI has achieved this award.