With policies starting from just $15* and free child cover, Southern Cross could be the right fit for your trip
Since entering the insurance market in 1982, Southern Cross has grown to become one of the most trusted and awarded insurers for Australian's and New Zealanders planning their next trip. Southern Cross offers a number policies to choose no matter what your cover needs with unlimited medical and evacuation cover, worldwide emergency assistance and free cover for dependent children .
This review will give details of the cover provided under the different plans from Southern Cross. If you would like to take out cover immediately, you can follow the secure links below through to the Southern Cross website or enter your trip details to see how they compare to other insurers on the market.
Policies available from Southern Cross
Policies available from Southern Cross
Below is what you will be covered for under the Southern Cross Single Trip and Multi-Trip Policy. Please note that some of the cover options will have sub-limits applied for certain events.
|Cover Feature||Individual Single Trip||Family Single Trip||Single Multi-Trip||Family Multi-Trip|
|Medical and Evacuation||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Changes to Your Journey||$50,000||$100,000||$50,000||$100,000|
|Baggage and Personal Items||$25,000||$50,000||$25,000||$50,000|
|Cash and Travel Documents||$1,000||$2,000||$1,000||$2,000|
|Rental Vehicle Excess||$5,000||$5,000||$5,000||$5,000|
|Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
Want to know more? This is what you will be covered for under each feature
- Medical expenses and evacuation. If, as a result of an unexpected event, you require medical treatment during your journey, SCTI will reimburse you for your medical expenses. Medical evacuation is also covered, even if you need to be repatriated to Australia.
- Emergency dental treatment.
- Cash allowance while in hospital to help you cover necessary expenses.
- Extra travel and accommodation costs incurred if you are unfit to travel.
- If you are travelling alone and hospitalised for more than 10 days, SCTI will cover the cost of flights and accommodation for a friend or relative to travel from Australia and stay by your side.
- Funeral expenses.
Changes to your journey
- If you have to cancel or alter your journey before leaving Australia, for example due to an unexpected illness or the loss of your job, the policy helps you recoup the pre-paid expenses you’ve spent booking your holiday.
- Travel interruption. If your trip is delayed or disrupted, for example a delayed flight causing you to miss a connecting flight, cover is provided.
- Cover also applies if unexpected delays cause you to miss a special event, or if an unexpected event forces you to cut your journey short and return home to Australia.
Baggage and personal items
- You are covered for your items that are lost, stolen and damaged items while you are away.
- Baggage delay. If an airline misplaces your baggage for 12 hours or more, you will be reimbursed for the cost of buying essential items of clothing and personal effects until your bags catch up with you.
Cash and travel documents
- Cover is provided for lost or stolen cash.
- If your essential bank cards, travel documents or passports are lost, stolen or damaged, SCTI will reimburse you for the cost of their replacement.
- This covers things like death or disablement during your journey, as well as loss of income as the result of an injury.
- Cover is also provided for personal liability.
Rental vehicle excess
- Cover for rental vehicle excess is also available. If you hire a rental vehicle overseas and it is stolen or damaged on your journey, SCTI will reimburse you for any excess payable to the rental company that is not refundable.
Different cover options to suit your travel needs
SCTI offers two policy types depending on the number of trips you intend to take in a year, a single trip policy and a multi trip policy.
- a single trip policy provides cover for a single journey overseas
- a multi trip policy provides cover for an unlimited number of journeys overseas, each no longer than 90 days, over a 12 month period.
This choice of options lets you select the perfect policy for your specific needs.
To ensure you have comprehensive cover in your destination, SCTI has three different regions to choose from:
- New Zealand / Indonesia / South Pacific
- Limited World – Excluding USA and Canada
- World – Including USA and Canada.
The ‘World – Includes USA & Canada’ plan covers all countries. This plan must be selected if you are visiting the USA or Canada.
Cover the kids for free
Southern Cross will provide free child cover provided they are;
- Your unmarried children, stepchildren, foster children, grand children, nieces or nephews
- Under 17 years of age
- Not engaged in full-time employment
How much excess will you pay?
A $100 excess applies per event to any claims made under the Medical, Changes to Your Journey, Baggage and Personal Items, and Cash and Travel Documents sections listed above.
For example, if your wallet containing your cash and credit cards is stolen and you make a claim, an amount of $100 will be deducted from the claim paid amount.Back to top
So, who is SCTI?
- An APRA and ASIC regulated general insurer, SCTI insures hundreds of thousands of travellers.
- This article provides information on SCTI and the policies it offers to help you decide whether SCTI is the right option for you.
- SCTI is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Insurance Council of Australia and a signatory to the Australian General Insurance Code of Practice.
More reasons to consider SCTI for your trip
- 24 hour worldwide emergency assistance
- overseas hospitalisation and medical expenses
- medical evacuation back to Australia
- travel cancellations and interruptions
- lost, stolen or damaged personal items
- personal accident
- personal liability
- rental vehicle excess
Southern Cross offers worldwide assistance, giving you access to a global network of emergency medical resources 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you have an accident or get sick while on holiday, Southern Cross Worldwide Assistance can help you locate the nearest registered English speaking medical practitioner, arrange emergency medical evacuation and provide payment guarantees to hospitals or emergency clinics.
This offers you increased peace of mind while overseas, along with the reassuring knowledge that help will be available when you need it most.Back to top
Making changes to your policy
I want to extend my policy
You can contact SCTI to request an extension of your policy but some conditions apply
- No extension will be provided for Single Trip cover once the initial policy has expired
- No extension will be provided for a multi-trip policy once the 90th day of a journey has passed
- Events that have occurred before the new policy is issued will not be considered as unexpected
- You will need to let SCTI know reasons for the extension and where you plan to travel to
I want to amend my policy
You can amend your policy b contacting SCTI with your amendment details. An additional charge may apply and you cannot make amendments after your trip has started.Back to top
Will my medical condition be covered?
If you want to be covered for your pre-existing condition/s, you can seek cover during the policy application process.
To do this, you will be asked to complete a simple online medical assessment. The results will be displayed to you before you decide whether or not to proceed with the policy, letting you make an informed choice about what you’re signing up for. An additional premium will apply if SCTI does offer cover for your pre-existing condition. If you do not want to apply for cover for a pre-existing condition, you can opt to leave these excluded during the application process.
It’s important to note that pre-existing conditions are excluded under a SCTI policy. This means that any medical or physical conditions or symptoms which you are aware of prior to the start date of your insurance, or that a person in your circumstances ought to have been aware of, are not covered. Some minor and common conditions, such as acne, asthma, migraines and hayfever, are automatically covered by the policy unless otherwise specified.Back to top
I am travelling with some expensive items...how are they covered?
SCTI willl provide the following cover for "unspecified items"
- $2,500 maximum payment for Jewellery/watches
- $3,000 maximum payment for unspecified Laptops/Personal Computers/Tablets
- $1,500 maximum payment other unspecified items per journey
The original purchase price less depreciation which is determined by the age of the item applied at reasonable rate by SCTI.
For "specified items"
- $10,000 maximum payment per item
- $15,000 maximum total paid for all specified items per journey
The current value of the item will be paid.
Additional cover for specified items can be taken out when purchasing cover.
What evidence will be required for specified items in a claim?
- Original receipt dated within 12 months from when item was specified for cover or;
- Original receipt as proof of ownership and valuation dated within 12 months from when item was covered or;
- Documentation showing items specified on contents insurance policy dated within 12 months that item was specified
Southern Cross Travel Insurance F.A.Qs
Q. Can I extend my TravelCare policy when I'm overseas?
A. If you are overseas and you choose to extend your journey, you can request an extension of your policy by emailing SCTI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Can I change my policy after I have applied for it?
A. It is possible to make adjustments to your policy provided you have not yet departed Australia. An additional charge may apply for some amendments.
Q. I have a pre-existing medical condition. Is it covered under the TravelCare policy?
A. Pre-Existing Conditions are excluded under the policy. However, you can apply for cover by completing an online medical assessment during the policy application process.
Once you have entered your travel details and selected that you have a Pre-Existing Condition, you will be able to enter the name of the condition and if applicable, you will be prompted to provide more details about it. You will be able to view the results of your medical assessment with no obligation to purchase the policy.
Depending on the travel related risk of your Pre-Existing Condition, an additional premium may apply if Southern Cross are able to offer cover. If you choose to pay the additional premium, the condition would be considered a Covered Condition under the policy.
If there is a change to your Covered Condition after your Start Date of Insurance, but prior to your Start Date of Journey, you must notify Southern cross
If Southern Cross does not offer cover for your Pre-Existing Condition, or you choose to 'opt out' of having the condition covered under the policy, any claims arising directly or indirectly from the Pre-Existing Condition will be excluded under all sections of the policy.
Q. How do you cancel a TravelCare policy?
If you are not completely satisfied with the terms and conditions of your policy, you may cancel within 14 days of purchase, but before your start date of journey, and receive a full refund provided no claims have been made.
If you cancel later than 14 days after purchase, but before your start date of journey, you are still entitled to a refund, less a $35 cancellation fee. If you cancel your policy no claims may be made by you.
No premium is refundable once a claim is made, or after your start date of journey.
To cancel your policy, please use the online cancellation function on the Southern Cross website.
Q. Am I covered for Cruise Trips?
A. Yes. Worldwide cruises are covered by TravelCare travel insurance.
Q. Am I covered for Ski Trips?
A. Yes, SCTI’s travel insurance provides comprehensive cover for ski or snow trips as part of their regular travel insurance policy.
Q. How long can I take for each trip with an annual multi-trip policy?
A. You can be covered for 90 days per trip.
Q. Why is SCTI competitively priced?
A. The cover is provided direct to you with SCTI acting as underwriter, insurer and retailer – there is no middleman.
Q. Who is covered under a “family” policy?
A. An SCTI family policy will cover two adults, or two adults and any of their dependent children.
Q. Who is covered under an “individual policy?
A. Individual applies to one person, or one adult and any of their dependent children.
Q. What number do I call if I need emergency assistance?
A. You can contact SCTI on 61 2 8216 0200, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Making a claim with Southern Cross
- Claims must be submitted to Southern Cross as soon as is possible following the event
- You will be advised if any additional information is required
- You must provide any additional documentation that is required
- Your claim will be securely destroyed and recycled 90 days after your claim is finalised
Enter your trip details below to see how Southern Cross compares to other Australian insurers
*Price displayed is for Single Trip NZ/Indonesia/South Pacific policy, with 2 days Individual cover for ages 18-54. Please note it does not include any specified items or subcharges for pre-existing medical conditions