Early superannuation acces

Accessing Superannuation – Taking Out Your Superannuation Early

Information verified correct on September 9th, 2013

Under normal circumstances in Australia, you're not permitted to access your superannuation before you turn 55 years old. There are certain situations, though, in which you can gain access to these funds.

Normally you're unable to access the funds in your superannuation until you reach preservation age, which is set by law and enter permanent retirement. This minimum age is referred to as preservation age because the money in your super fund is 'preserved' until you reach this age. If you were born before July 1960, the preservation age is 55 and then grows incrementally to 60 for people born after June 1964.

If you've reached the age of 65, you can access a portion of your super even if you haven't permanently retired via a transition to retirement pension. You are able to withdraw up to 10% of the account balance of your super fund every financial year, though you are not permitted to withdraw lump sums.

Despite this, there are certain situations in which you can request to get some of the money in your superannuation fund before you reach retirement age in order to help you meet your financial obligations, namely having your super released due to severe financial hardship or on compassionate grounds. Note that you might have to pay tax on any funds released from your superannuation early.

Gaining access to your superannuation early

Before you get early access to your super, it's important to remember that at best this is a short-term reaction to help you with current financial problems which can lead to significant losses in the long-term. You should only really consider accessing your super early after you've tried everything else to resolve your financial problems, including requesting independent financial advice.

You really need to consider whether solving your problems in the short-term is worth losing the returns you could have earned and reducing the amount that will be available to you when you retire. Of course, if you really have no other way of meeting your obligations, then you might need to go ahead but make sure you've considered all other options.

For example, if you dip into your super early to pay the arrears on a home loan because you can't afford to pay it off, you're only putting off the inevitable. You might sort out your problems for the time being, but you will still end up having to sell your home if you can't afford it.

All you'll end up doing is using money which is normally protected against creditors to pay off a debt where the money isn't protected and where you not only still lose your home, but also part of your superannuation and the returns that money could have earned. In this example getting access to your super early will see you end up with less money available for your retirement or any other financial hardship issues.



Note that while the Department of Human Services (DHS) is in charge of approving applications for the early release of your super based on compassionate grounds, it's still up to the superannuation fund to release the funds. In other words, if your super fund doesn't permit early access, then it doesn't matter what the Department of Human Services says, you will still be unable to access the funds.

What are the grounds for the early release of my super?

Many superannuation funds will allow you to access a lump sum from the amount you've accumulated in your super account once every year. However, your application has to be founded on one of the following:

  • Certain compassionate grounds, like to prevent the foreclosure of your home, paying medical bills, disability expenses or covering funeral costs
  • Serious financial hardship, including to cover reasonable immediate living expenses for your family, such as loan repayments, rent arrears, car repairs, medical costs and overdue bills
  • In the event of you being temporarily or permanently incapacitated
  • If you are diagnosed with a terminal disease or injury.

In some cases, you may be able to get early access to your super if you are moving out of Australia for good or if your super account has less than $200 in it.

If you want early access to your super for reasons of financial hardship, you have to file the application directly with your superannuation fund. However, any application to release funds early based on compassionate grounds must be filed with the Department of Human Services.

What are considered compassionate grounds?

There are certain situations that are considered to be compassionate grounds and allow you to file an application for early access to your super. These are as follows:

  • For medical treatment and/or transportation for you or a dependent
  • To help pay your mortgage
  • To make changes to your home and/or motor-vehicle
  • For palliative care for you or a dependent
  • To cover funeral expenses for a dependent

Of course, there are certain eligibility conditions that have to be met for your application to be approved.

Medical treatment and/or transportation

You may qualify for the early release of funds from your superannuation on compassionate grounds to cover certain medical and/or transportation costs for yourself or a person who is dependent upon you. These expenses are as follows:

  • Medical or dental treatment
  • Transportation to get said treatment


Early Access Conditions

Note that you can't access your super for all medical treatments. The treatment you need must be for an illness or injury that is life-threatening, to relieve acute or chronic physical pain or to alleviate a serious or chronic mental issue.

Furthermore, the treatment in question must be difficult to access via the public health system and the expense must not be fully covered by any private health insurance or workers' compensation you or your dependent have access to.

When submitting your application, you should make sure you have all the supporting documents available to smooth the process and avoid any delays.

A qualified medical or dental professional will have to fill out a report for medical practitioners and/or specialists, which is available on the website of the Department for Human Services.

The alternative is to submit a letter from your medical or dental specialist. This letter must provide all the information the report requires and be printed on the specialist's letterhead. It has to be signed and dated and must not be older than six months from the date you submit the application. The letter must also show exactly what the qualifications of the specialist are. This information must be in English or submitted as a certified translation into English.

You will also have to obtain a quote or submit outstanding invoices from the various service providers, in other words your medical or dental specialist and/or the company providing transportation services as proof of the amounts you have to pay.

Mortgage payments

If you are in danger of having your home sold from under you by your mortgage lender, you might be eligible to receive early access to your superannuation. Note that this does not apply for rent or covering repayments on a mortgage if:

  • You will find it hard to pay in the future but are not behind on your payments
  • You are behind on your payments but not so far behind that the lender has come to the decision to sell the property
  • A friend or your business is responsible for making the payments
  • It was secured using a second property you own or an investment property.

To apply for early release, you have to meet all of the following conditions:

  • You're behind on your payments and are having a hard time making any payments at all
  • The lender wants to sell the property because you are so far behind on payments
  • The mortgage documents are in your name, whether you are the sole owner or a joint-owner of the property
  • The property which is under threat of being sold by the lender is your residence and not a second property or an investment property.

The amount you can get depends on how much you have in your super account and the bills or debts you want to pay off. For mortgage payments, the DHS can allow the release of a sum to cover three months of mortgage payments plus an extra 12 months of interest payments on the outstanding balance of your mortgage.

Again, to make sure your application goes through without any problems and there are no delays, you need to provide all the relevant supporting documentation.

For mortgage assistance you need to submit a written notice or legal statement from the bank or financial institution. This notice should include the following information:

  • Details demonstrating that the property will be foreclosed on and sold or taken possession of if the outstanding amounts are not paid within a certain period
  • The amount owing in order for the lender to stop the procedure of selling or taking possession of your residence
  • The address of the property that is under threat of being foreclosed on
  • The value of three months of repayments on your home loan
  • The value of 12 months of interest charges on the remaining balance of the loan
  • The lender's name, BSB and the loan account number.

The notice should be printed on the lender's letterhead and should be no older than 30 days.

Changes to your home and motor vehicle

There are certain situations in which you can apply for early access to your super to make changes to your home and/or motor vehicle. This doesn't refer to you getting access to your super to renovate your kitchen or reupholster your car seats, but rather to afford special requirements that you or a person dependent on you might have due to a serious disability.

You can apply to pay for changes to your home and vehicle as well as to cover the expense of purchasing disability aids needed to accommodate a serious disability.

Note that to be eligible you need to also make sure that besides needing said modifications and disability aids, you also must be unable to cover these expenses in any way other than by using the money in your superannuation fund.

The supporting documents you will need to submit include:

  • A letter from a registered medical professional who provided treatment for the medical condition in question stating that the said condition can be considered a severe disability. It'll also need to state that changes need to be made to your residence and/or vehicle to accommodate special needs resulting from said disability and details regarding what changes need to be made.
  • Quotes, unpaid invoices and/or receipts from the companies that performed the relevant services, showing the amounts that need to be paid as well as any amounts you can claim from private health insurance. Note that these documents must not be older than 30 days.

Palliative care

If you want to submit an application for the early release of your superannuation to cover the costs of palliative care, you will have to get in touch with your superannuation fund to arrange for the release of the funds.



Note: To be eligible, you or your dependent needs to suffer from a terminal illness, require help in covering the costs of palliative care and be unable to cover said costs in any other way.

You will have to submit documentation as proof to ensure no delays occur during the processing of your application. This means you'll need to submit a letter from a registered medical professional whose care you or your dependent have been under. This must state that the medical issue is terminal and the palliative care is required. You also have to provide quotes, invoices or receipts or your application will not be processed.

Funeral expenses for a dependent

You can apply for the early release of your super to pay for the costs of a dependent's funeral. However, you can't apply to cover the costs of your own funeral. To be eligible you need to show proof that you need help covering these costs and have no other option available to you other than to request early access to your super.

You will also have to provide various supporting documents including:

  • Proof of the death of your dependent, such as a death certificate
  • Quotes or invoices to show the expenses involved
  • If the person was not your child or spouse, proof that the person who died was dependent on you, such as bank statements showing financial dependency or proof of payment of a Commonwealth Carer's benefit.

What is considered severe financial hardship?

If you want to access your superannuation early because you are having financial difficulties, you need to meet certain conditions that the government considers to be indicative of 'severe financial hardship'.

Generally speaking, you must have received Commonwealth Government income support, such as unemployment benefits, for a minimum of 26 consecutive weeks. The trustee of your superannuation fund will also need to consider you unable to meet your immediate family expenses and obligations. Note that any payment you receive can only be used to cover every day living costs and cannot exceed one payment of $10,000 in a 12-month period.

If you've reached preservation age, you could get access to your entire super as long as you've been on government income support for at least 39 weeks.

A non-resident departing Australia for good

If you're not a resident of Australia, you have the right to request the early release of your super if you leave the country for good. You are considered to be a non-resident if you've come into the country on a temporary resident visa, which means that if you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, a permanent resident or have a retirement visa, you are not eligible for early access to your super fund, even if you do leave the country permanently.

Permanent disability

You have the right to access your super early if you suffer a permanent disability that incapacitates you. However, the trustee of the super fund holding your money must be satisfied that you're unlikely to be able to work again in your field due to the severity of your condition.

Temporary incapacity

There is a chance your super fund might offer automatic income protection insurance or you might be able to submit an application for such a policy via your superannuation fund. This cover can then be used to ensure you receive a regular income if you suffer from a lengthy sickness or become disabled. This type of insurance policy usually offers benefits for up to two years.


If you pass away, the superannuation fund will pay death benefits to your estate, spouse or other persons who are dependent on you.

Lifetime pension or annuity

You can access your superannuation fund at any time as long as you opt to take it as a non-commutable lifetime pension or annuity. These represent a pension that you will receive for the entire duration of your life and that cannot be accessed as a lump sum.

The pros and cons of early access to your super

pros and cons

As with anything, there are benefits as well as drawbacks to accessing your super early. The key is to decide what is more important to you.

By accessing your super early, you will be able to use your own money to reduce debt instead of taking out other loans and digging an even deeper hole for yourself. Lenders and creditors will stop hounding you for payment and threatening to repossess your home. You'll be less stressed and better able to come up with a plan and work towards reducing any other debts you might have.

Furthermore, if you feel that your current situation is much more pressing than any situation you might face in the future when you retire, you will feel more in control and will be better able to handle the problem once you reduce some of your debts.

However, there are some serious consequences to accessing your super fund early that you need to take into account before making the final decision.

First of all, any money that you get before retirement is taxed at a higher rate. Taking out money from your super fund means that you will have less money available when you retire or if you find yourself in another situation where you need money urgently.

While your money is in a super fund, it's protected against creditors. When it's released to you, this protection ceases to exist. Also be very careful - there are illegal programs promising early access to superannuation funds where people have been exploited and charged exorbitant fees.

You are likely to have to pay some service fees and cover other costs that the superannuation fund might impose on you for releasing the money early. Last but certainly not least, if the money in question doesn't cover the entire amount you owe, you could end up handing it over to the lender and still losing your home.

How much will I get when I retire?

The amount you will receive when you retire is determined by a number of factors, including:

  • How much your employer has contributed to the fund throughout your working life
  • Extra contributions you've made

There are many good calculators on the internet for calculating how much you'll receive when you retire. Use these to get a good idea of how much you stand to receive and how you can increase this amount if need be.

This isn't exactly what you'll receive - you then have to deduct any taxes and fees that need to be paid.

You have the option of withdrawing your super as a lump sum or you can choose to receive it as a pension, meaning you will receive a certain amount every month, or you can combine both options. Note that there is an advantage to accessing your super via a pension because the remaining amount in your super will continue to produce returns as it will continue to be invested.

If you opt to take out your super as a lump sum you might have to pay taxes on it and it could have certain Centrelink implications. Generally, it's not considered the best approach to withdrawing money from your super fund and it can have drastic consequences because once you've withdrawn the money, there's no way to put it back.

It's often a good idea to consult with a professional financial adviser if you're coming close to retirement age and aren't certain what the best option is in terms of withdrawing your super.

How much will I need when I retire?

According to the Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC), the amount of super you need when you retire depends on a number of factors, including:

  • Your lifestyle
  • How long you live
  • Future medical costs

ASIC also lists the following figures as a rough guide to how much you'll need when you retire.

Couple Annual living costs Lump sum needed
Modest $31,643 $412,000
Comfortable $55,080 $716,000

This number changes if you're single:

Single Annual living costs Lump sum needed
Modest $21,946 $285,000
Comfortable $40,297 $524,000



Clearly, there are both advantages and disadvantages when it comes to accessing your super early. The key is to step back from the situation and be honest with yourself. You need to do everything you can to find other options before accessing your superannuation early because the short-term benefits might not be worth it when one takes into account the long-term losses.

If your home is too expensive and you won't be able to pay your mortgage in the future in addition to making repayments now, then you may be better off selling it now. This applies to other situations as well.

However, if you really have nowhere to turn, at least you know you can fall back on your super if it's absolutely necessary.

Information about what's available to you as a pensioner

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask a Question

Disclaimer: At finder.com.au we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to receive follow up emails related to finder.com.au and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

60 Responses to Accessing Superannuation – Taking Out Your Superannuation Early

  1. Default Gravatar
    terry | January 12, 2015

    I have been diagnosed with a serious cancer problem for which I have now had a kidney removed aDN FOLLOW UP TREATMENT TO FOLLOW. i HAVE NO SOURCE OF INCOME

    • Staff
      Shirley | January 13, 2015

      Hi Terry,

      Thanks for your question and we’re sorry to hear about your situation.

      If you think you’re eligible for an early release of your superannuation due to medical treatment, please speak to your super provider. Centrelink is responsible for assessing your application and if permission is granted your super is responsible for releasing the funds to you.

      All the best,

  2. Default Gravatar
    Lina | January 6, 2015

    Can I have early release super and I’m not having allowance payment from Centerlink? Can you give me some advices?

    • Staff
      Elizabeth | January 7, 2015

      Hi Lina,

      Thanks for your question.

      As you can see from the page above there are only a few situations where an early release of super is allowed. These include certain compassionate grounds, like to stop you losing your home or to pay bills. Also for
      serious financial hardship, including living expenses, if you become temporarily or permanently incapacitated or if you are diagnosed with a terminal disease or injury.

      If you have more questions about the possible early release of your own super you might want to get in contact with the Department of Human Services.

      I hope this has helped.



  3. Default Gravatar
    smith | December 9, 2014

    My daughter has lived in the USA for fifteen years,she has an american husband and 11 year old son, she does not intend to move back to live in Australia, has she any chance of getting early access to her super, she is 52 years old.

    • Staff
      Shirley | December 9, 2014

      Hi Smith,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please see the following grounds that you access super early:

      “-severe financial hardship
      -terminal illness
      -permanent incapacity
      -balances of $200 or less
      -permanent departure from Australia”

      If you feel as though your sister is eligible, she will need to contact the Department of Human Services in Australia.


  4. Default Gravatar
    Jax | December 4, 2014

    Hi how long does it take for an early release application to be processed and for the applicant to be notified of the outcome?


    • Staff
      Shirley | December 4, 2014

      Hi Jax,

      Thanks for your question.

      The time it takes for the Department of Human Services to approve your release application varies according to the complexity of the situation. If your claim has been approved, you’ll then need to submit a few documents to your superfund. It’s best to speak to Centrelink to see how long this could take.

      The time it takes for the funds to be released also varies and depends on your super provider. For example, with Australian Super, it takes up to 5 days.


  5. Default Gravatar
    Kerrie | December 2, 2014

    can I access my super to purchase a car

    • Staff
      Shirley | December 3, 2014

      Hi Kerrie,

      Thanks for your question.

      You may be granted early access of your super under these specified compassionate grounds:

      - transport for medical or dental treatment for you or your dependant
      - modification to your home or vehicle to accommodate a severe disability for you or your dependant

      If you feel as though you are eligible, please get in touch with Centrelink direct.y

      All the best,

  6. Default Gravatar
    kim | November 26, 2014

    I have been chronically sick for the past 20 years and unable to work fulltime again, my doctors can confirm all of this .
    I have 2 kids to support . I work part time at the moment(my only source of income ) and its quite hard working with my illness but I have to.Im unable to go to doctors anymore or pay for medications and im getting quite sick from not following up on my illness.
    I hadn’t been able to buy xmas presents for my kids for quite some years and its emotionally painful.
    I owe quite a large amount of money for school fees etc etc and I wont be able to ever pay it. I don’t sleep at night worrying about everything.
    I have money sitting in my super which I need now , what would be my chances of getting it. Its my only hope of getting on top of everything.

  7. Default Gravatar
    ahmed | November 20, 2014

    hi i m behind my rent and the owner is terminating

    • Staff
      Shirley | November 20, 2014

      Hi Ahmed,

      We’re sorry to hear about your situation.

      If you would like to discuss your options regarding accessing your superannuation early, please get in touch with Centrelink asap.

      All the best,

  8. Default Gravatar
    Rod | November 17, 2014

    hello, im 50 and have been on benefits for over 5 years, my car died and was sold for scrap, am i able to access my super say $5000 to buy a second hand car. cheers

    • Staff
      Shirley | November 18, 2014

      Hi Rod,

      Thanks for your question.

      In some limited situations you may be able to access your super early;
      “-medical or dental treatment for you or your dependant
      -transport for medical or dental treatment for you or your dependant
      -arrears on your mortgage to prevent your home being sold by your lender
      -modification to your home or vehicle to accommodate a severe disability for you or your dependant
      -palliative care for a terminal illness for you or your dependant
      -expenses associated with your dependant’s death, funeral or burial”

      If you feel as though you’re eligible, please get in touch with Centrelink to request approval. Centrelink can also offer you support services if you’re not eligible.


  9. Default Gravatar
    Jane | November 10, 2014

    Hi I’m 22 years old and in $80,000 debt I’m on average wages and struggling to pay off my debt I have a partner who pays for my living because my whole wage goes to loan repayments and living expenses
    Am I eligible to access my super early?

    • Staff
      Richard | November 10, 2014

      Hi Jane,

      Thanks for your question and I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Most super funds have a provision for severe financial hardship. However, cover for financial hardship and the specifics for eligibly vary between super funds. Contact your super fund and find out if there is a condition for early release of your super due to financial hardship. If so, ask them whether you qualify.

      Unfortunately, to qualify for early release of your super, you generally need to satisfy both of the following conditions (in your case if you are under 55 years and 39 weeks of age):
      – have been in receipt of an eligible Commonwealth income support payment for a period of no less than 26 continuous weeks
      – be able to demonstrate severe financial hardship.

      Additionally, the amount released from super is generally capped $10,000.

      If you would like to find out more about Severe Financial Hardship or about accessing your super early, please have a look at the links below to the Department of Human Services and the Australia Tax Office:
      Department of Human Services
      Australia Tax Office

      I hope this was helpful and wish you the best of luck,

  10. Default Gravatar
    emma | November 7, 2014


    I am currently on maternity leave and not due to return to work for another four months. At the moment my partner is paying for most of our living expenses and currently struggling to pay our car payments as a result. My paid parental leave pay runs up in two months and we will be living solely on his wage, are we able to dip into his super to pay his car off as we are at risk of losing our car?

    • Staff
      Elizabeth | November 7, 2014

      Hi Emma,

      Thanks for your question.

      You may be able to access your super early as this may fall under ‘compassionate grounds’. You’ll need to get in touch with the Department of Human Services in order to discuss your individual situation as it will be up to them whether you are able to access your super.

      I hope this has helped.



  11. Default Gravatar
    leanne | October 23, 2014

    I am on the carer payment ,i care for my autistic son and have been for 12 years. Recently I was awarded part of my x husbands super and haven’t received child support since my son is 17 and its imperative we keep things the way they are as he is attempting his v.c.e. next year.

    To do this I need access to the super at present I have 250.00 left after rent, I am unable to work for the forseeable future. There is no financial outlay just the inability to work costs me a wage. Am I able to do this??

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 24, 2014

      Hi Leanna,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please note that the decision to release your superannuation early is up the Department of Human Services. You can refer to the list below for eligible reasons:

      “- medical or dental treatment for you or your dependant
      - transport for medical or dental treatment for you or your dependant
      - arrears on your mortgage to prevent your home being sold by your lender
      - modification to your home or vehicle to accommodate a severe disability for you or your dependant
      - palliative care for a terminal illness for you or your dependant
      - expenses associated with your dependant’s death, funeral or burial.”

      Please see this link for more information.


  12. Default Gravatar
    Julie | October 22, 2014

    Hi, I am 58 years old. Can I access super funds. Do I have to have financial hardship to do this? Julie

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 23, 2014

      Hi Julie,

      Thanks for your question.

      There are some grounds under which you can access your super early, these include:
      “-severe financial hardship
      -terminal illness
      -permanent incapacity
      -balances of $200 or less
      -permanent departure from Australia.”

      All applications are assess by the Department of Human Services. Please see this page for more information.

      All the best,

  13. Default Gravatar
    ash | October 15, 2014

    hi, i am on centerlink benefit for 26 week, i want to widraw supperannuation, my query is is there any documents i have to show
    to supperannuation comany under financila hardship

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 15, 2014

      Hi Ash,

      Thanks for your question.

      The documents you need to supply depend on the what compassionate grounds your claims are based on. Please see this page for more information, you can click on the links depending on why you’re releasing your super early.


  14. Default Gravatar
    kate | October 5, 2014

    Hi there , I lived in australia about ten years ago for around five years. How can i trace my super and can i get it back? Thoughts

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 7, 2014

      Hi Kate,

      Thanks for your question.

      There’s a link called findmysuper.com.au that could help you find your lost super. I’ve emailed the link to you.

      Hope this helps,

  15. Default Gravatar
    sue | September 9, 2014

    A few yrs ago my husband got his super early due to permanent disability. Now ive had to leave work to be his full time carer. Would I now be able to access my super early as I can no longer work because I care for him

    • Staff
      Shirley | September 10, 2014

      Hi Sue,

      Thanks for your question.

      You may be eligible to access your super on the grounds of palliative care. I’d recommend that you get in touch with Centrelink (as they manage this) to discuss your options.

      I’ve also emailed you with a link with more information.

      All the best with this,

  16. Default Gravatar
    Filia | August 17, 2014

    I am currently applying for the early release of my super due to funeral expenses for my dependant. My supperannuation amount is $4500, can I withdraw all of it?

    • Staff
      Shirley | August 18, 2014

      Hi Filia,

      Thanks for your question.

      Unfortunately this enquiry is one that you need to speak to about super provider about. It depends how your super is structured and the provider’s Product Disclosure Statement.

      All the best,

  17. Default Gravatar
    Andrew | July 22, 2014


    I have been on parenting payment for just over 26 weeks and wish to apply for financial hardship of my super so I can fix rent arrears and some card debts. I just found out my super fund, sunsuper does not allow financial hardship early release, what options do I have? Can I transfer my super to a new fund and apply for financial hardship?

    • Staff
      Shirley | July 23, 2014

      Hi Andrew,

      Thanks for your question.

      The Centrelink website states that if you’re not eligible for the early release of superannuation, “We can offer you support services if you are experiencing severe financial hardship. We can also help you get financial counselling as well as personal or family counselling from social workers. In some cases, special one off payments may be available if you are experiencing extreme circumstances. Visit your local service centre for more information.”

      Perhaps it would be best to speak to your local Centrelink first to see what options are available for you. They should be able to advise on whether you’ll need to transfer your super to another provider.


  18. Default Gravatar
    Mitchell | July 16, 2014

    I have left Australia 3 years ago, and turn 55 next year in March. I believe I can get my super. How much tax will I have to pay on this amount, I am getting around $300,000

    • Staff
      Shirley | July 17, 2014

      Hi Mitchell,

      Thanks for your question.

      The tax implications related to withdrawing your super depends on your personal situation. Please refer to the link I’ve emailed you regarding this.


  19. Default Gravatar
    fatima | July 2, 2014

    will i get a pay out from my super REST if i am all of a sudden on a disability pension? i am 52 years old thanks

    • Staff
      Shirley | July 3, 2014

      Hi Fatima,

      Thanks for your question.

      Unfortunately we don’t have access to any personal information.
      Please check your policy, and if you have any questions, please contact the customer service team at REST.


  20. Default Gravatar
    ktkoo78 | June 27, 2014

    I have just applied for ERSB for medical treatment, however nowhere can I find any info on how long (approx) it takes to process. Do you have any knowledge on the issue?

    • Staff
      Shirley | June 30, 2014

      Hi ktkoo78,

      Thanks for your question.

      Unfortunately this is very hard to say, as early release of super is handled on a case by case basis.


  21. Default Gravatar
    Lidiya | June 24, 2014

    am wanting to access my super for dental treatment, am I able to have the treatment overseas? Prices in Australia are extremely expensive….I

    • Staff
      Elizabeth | June 25, 2014

      Hi Lidiya,

      Thanks for your question.

      Your medical treatment needs to be undertaken by a dentist who is registered in Australia.



  22. Default Gravatar
    stella | June 6, 2014

    Am I still entitled to income protection even if I have already taken out my Super a few years ago. I have just been informed that my Super was covering me for income protection and I ceased work in 2009 and am unfit to ever return to work again because of Mental Disabilities.

    • Staff
      Shirley | June 12, 2014

      Hi Stella,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please contact your superannuation provider to enquire about this, as these are often handled on a case by case basis.


  23. Default Gravatar
    Jacki | March 13, 2014

    Hi there i am just wondering if i am able to draw on my super i have an outstanding car repayments of $2000 overdue phone bill of $3500 and a couple of small lender bills that are also overdue by approx 1200 that’s just in over due and they all want me to pay the overdue bills in full and still keep up with the weekly payments car is on the verge of getting repaid so no car means no work for me and my partner how do i go about this issue i have got myself into thanks for listening to my dramas also have joined with my budget but not sure if i have left it to late with overdue payments keep getting higher and higher also both bank account are in arrears for about $400 each for the reason of more bills then my pay thanks again kind regards

    • Staff
      Marc | March 14, 2014

      Hi Jacki,
      thanks for the question.

      Unfortunately we do not deal with superannuation or release superannuation funds early. You’ll want to contact your super fund after finding a reason from the above document to see if you can access your funds early.

      I hope this helps,

    • Default Gravatar
      Jacki | March 14, 2014

      Yup i am aware of that just asking to see if i will be able to redraw on my super fund under my situations at the moment that’s all just like all the other questions on here getting answers to are they able to claim under financial hard ship etc wondering if i would qualify for them

    • Staff
      Marc | March 14, 2014

      Hi Jacki,
      thanks for the question.

      Your super fund will judge each request using their own criteria, so unfortunately we’re unable to provide a concrete answer as to whether or not you’d be able to access your funds at the moment. Again as I mentioned your super fund will be able to tell you what their conditions for early release are.

      Sorry I couldn’t be of more help,

  24. Default Gravatar
    Addy | March 8, 2014


    I am planning to withdraw my super due to severe financial hardship.

    I resigned from my last job, and have been unemployed ever since, which is a period of over 4 years. I am planning to do a short course from a TAFE institute, which will cost around $5,000. Is it possible to claim the cost of this course in my application? Also, I have read on the Internet that it is possible to claim the cost of replacing essential household goods. Is setting up a bedroom for a child considered buying essential household goods?



    • Staff
      Elizabeth | March 10, 2014

      Hi Addy,

      Thanks for your comment.

      To prove financial hardship in order to access your super early you need to have been receiving a social security pension or benefits for a period of 16 weeks or prove that you are unable to meet reasonable and immediate family expenses. With regards to how your super is able to be used in this situation, Centrelink may place restrictions which you would need to check.

      Before you consider applying for this you may wish to seek independent financial advise to see if this is the best option for you. You might also want to contact Centrelink directly as you may be eligible for other payments which may help your situation.

      I hope this information has helped and I wish you luck.



  25. Default Gravatar
    Hatterville | February 24, 2014

    Hi, I withdrew my super early as a lump sum at 48.

    I was a professional and my TPD was paid into super not directly to me. If I can do some work for a few hours a week not the same job, not the same pay, what is the super and super tax implications for me.

    I paid a lot of money to ATO when I received the payment but was told it was lower than what I should have paid because it was discounted!. Do I have to pay it back? Can I have a new super fund? or is it that for $120.00 a week I just have to let the opportunity slip by, it will help in my rehabilitation and I will receive some money also.

    • Staff
      Shirley | February 25, 2014

      Hi Hatterville,

      Thanks for your comment.

      There’s a lot of factors that determine what tax implications are liable to you. It’s probably best to speak directly to a Financial Information Service Officer from the Department of Human Services as they can give you a specific answer for your situation.


  26. Default Gravatar
    david | February 20, 2014

    Iam living overseas with my filipina wife and newborn i am wanting to know about accessing super early as a life long annuity iam 40 years old there is 80 000 in there

    • Staff
      Marc | February 20, 2014

      Hi David,
      thanks for the question.

      If you feel that you satisfy the early release conditions listed on this page please contact your super fund for more information about how you can lodge an early access request.

      I hope this helps,

  27. Default Gravatar
    kerry | February 5, 2014

    my husband and I had a smsf jointly. he became sick and is now vision impaired so he gets a blind pension and I receive the carers pension. we have had early release of the funds in compassionate grounds. my share was about $10000 do i have to put this into a superfund until i am 55, i am now 53, or can i keep it and invest it how i want.

    • Staff
      Shirley | February 6, 2014

      Hi Kerry,

      Thanks for your comment.

      Generally when you’re approved to release your funds on compassionate grounds, you can withdraw the monies from your super to pay for any particular expenses.

      There’s no rules stating that you need to put it back into a superfund, but keep in mind that the sole purpose of a superannuation is to help you fund your retirement.


    • Default Gravatar
      SD | October 6, 2014

      I need to get my dental done. My teeth have decayed a lot and are in very bad condition. I want to get this done overseas.
      Is there a chance of getting money from super?

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 7, 2014

      Hi SD,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please see this section from the Centrelink website:
      “You may be eligible for an early release of superannuation for medical treatment or transport expenses if:
      -you or your dependant has a life threatening illness or injury, acute or chronic pain, or acute or chronic mental illness, and
      -you or your dependant need assistance to meet the costs of medical treatment which is not readily available through the public health system or covered by insurance, or
      -you or your dependant need assistance to meet the costs of transport to access medical treatment, and
      -you do not have the financial capacity to pay for the expenses without accessing your superannuation.”

      If you feel as though you are eligible, please click on the link I’ve emailed you. On the bottom of the page it lists the forms that you’ll need to fill out.


    • Default Gravatar
      Luchare | October 22, 2014

      Hi Shirley, I am the same as the above poster, needing some dental work (around $2000 according to the dentist). Can you send the link to those forms also?

      Thank you,

    • Staff
      Shirley | October 23, 2014

      Hi Nat,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please click on this link to the page and scroll down towards the bottom for the forms that you’ll need to fill out.


Related Posts
Ask a question