When you open a Bank of Melbourne Complete Freedom transaction account, you are arming yourself with the shopping power of a Visa debit card. This allows you to make purchases in person, online and over the phone, with the cost directly debited from your account. This allows you the purchase power of Visa without having to pay any interest fees.
No monthly account service fee when you deposit $2,000+ by the last business day of every month, otherwise the fee is $5.
What are the features of the Bank of Melbourne Complete Freedom Transaction account?
When comparing the different transactions accounts available from other Australian banks, consider that the Complete Freedom from the Bank of Melbourne has the following features:
- Monthly account service fee. If you are able to deposit $2,000 into your Complete Freedom account by the last business day of each month, you will not be charged a monthly service fee. If you do fall short one month you’ll be charged $5 but can go right back to zero payments the next month once you meet the minimum deposit obligation. You can make that easier to meet by having your pay directly deposited into your transaction account.
- Linked accounts. You can also avoid the $5 monthly account service fee if you have a home loan with the Bank of Melbourne and are having your monthly repayments automatically deducted from the Complete Freedom everyday account.
- Visa debit card. With the opening of this everyday account, you are issued a Visa debit card, which gives you most of the same shopping advantages of a Visa credit card without having to pay interest on your purchases.
- Transaction fees. For all transactions in Australia, including internet and phone banking and withdrawals made at Bank of Melbourne, Westpac Bank, St.George Bank or BankSA ATMs, there are no transaction fees.
- Overseas cash withdrawal. You will be charged a $5 fee if you use your Visa debit card to withdraw money at an overseas ATM. Other charges may also be made towards your account, originating from the financial institution issuing the funds.
- Currency conversion. In the event that the Bank of Melbourne needs to make a conversion of currency on a purchase or cash withdrawal made using your Visa debit card, you will be charged 3.0% of the Australian dollar amount.
- Minimum opening deposit. You can open this account with $1, but if you also want free cheque facility the minimum opening balance is $1,000.
- Account keeping fee is waived if minimum deposit is reached
- Free everyday banking transactions
- There is a $5 monthly service fee
- There are fees for bank transactions abroad
How do you apply for the Bank of Melbourne Complete Freedom Transaction Bank Account?
If you have compared the Bank of Melbourne’s Complete Freedom transaction bank account with similar everyday accounts in other banks and find this one suits your needs then you can get started by clicking ‘go to site’ to be redirected to the secure application page.
You should check first that you meet their eligibility requirements before proceeding:
- Your age. In order to open the Complete Freedom transaction account you must be at least 18 years of age.
- Your residency. You must currently be in Australia and have a verifiable Australian residential address.
- Opening deposit. You will need to deposit at least $1 in order to open the Complete Freedom account.
If you can meet these requirements you will need about five minutes to complete the application online and the following documentation on hand to help fill it in completely:
- Identification. If applying online you are going to need two forms of id. This could be a passport, driver’s licence, Medicare card or your birth certificate. This allows Bank of Melbourne to verify your identity electronically.
- Residential address. You will need to provide a valid Australian residential address.
- New customer. If you are new to Bank of Melbourne you will need to visit a branch in order to complete the identification check.
It typically takes two business days for a transaction account to be opened, at which time you will be issued the Visa debit card. Start making your monthly deposits in order to avoid having to pay an account management fee.